Why Nott Me

Saturday, January 28, 2006

GROWING UP

I grew up on a farm. My Dad, uncles and cousins did too. For as
long as I can remember, each winter we would butcher our own
meat. My Dad has continued this tradition with us. It probably
sounds unusual, but I have rarely had to buy beef in the grocery.
As a matter of fact I don’t like too. I know what it should look like
just try to find the cuts in a grocery.
So my husband and I spent last Saturday working along side my
family. My youngest niece is only four, she wasn’t too sure about
the meat thing. But her sisters six and nine jumped right in and
were really good help. I’m now usually in charge of packaging. I
don’t know how that happened over the years, but it is my
favorite job. We’ve even expanded to the vacuum sealing a couple
of years ago.
We made up 480 hamburgers. Needless to say, I haven’t eaten any beef
this week.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carol-Ann Allen said...

Oh I can imagine you wouldn't want beef for awhile after a stint like that! But what a great way to get your meat -- with family tradition all tied in!

28 January, 2006 11:46  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Growing up on a ranch we did the same thing. Actually, it was done for us. But we would have 2 freezers full of every cut of meat wrapped in white paper with the name of the cut stamped on it. I miss those days!

29 January, 2006 16:27  
Blogger Teresa said...

I remember doing that. I thought meat only came in white butcher paper.

30 January, 2006 13:34  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Hi Carol-Ann,
Yes it is a good family tradition. And I even enjoy it.

Stephanie,
We use the white paper too, but it's mostly hand writing from the kids. One year my niece got creative and we had to open up a couple of packages to be sure of what was inside.

Teresa,
Isn't meat the the grocery "different"!

Barbara,
I did chickens, once when I was a teenager. Whew, do you ever forget the smell of a wet chicken?

And I am catching up, slowly.. :)

06 February, 2006 13:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home