Why Nott Me

Thursday, September 29, 2005

AUTUMN
I can tell that fall is upon us. There was a nip in the air today, low 60’s, with a chance of frost tonight. There are leaves covering the yard. Soon we’ll be mulching up the leaves and burning them, although that’s quite a chore since well are surrounded by trees. Some years we just get them out of the flower beds and quit.
I remember when I first moved here some 15 years ago. I decided one Saturday to rake all the leaves. I raked, and raked, and raked for over four hours. And there were still leaves. Everywhere! My mother-in-law was kind enough to tell me she had made the same mistake when she was my age. Kind of her I thought as my husband, her son, just laughed and wouldn’t help. He said “It’s impossible to get them all. Give it up.” I finally conceded that the leaves had won, but not until my hands had blisters that were quite painful.
Autumn is still my favorite time of the year. I love to walk in the wood with the crunch of the leaves under foot. The smell of the leaves and the noise is soothing to me. I am looking forward to Saturday morning so that I can go walking.

1 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

I love the Autumn too.

I hate the Winter though...

Luckily, we don't have trees in our garden, even though we have many close by...

SOmetimes we just have to learn these types of lessons for ourselves don't we? Someone else can tell you and tell you but untill you experience it yourself, it just doesn't seem to go in..I also find that I keep making the same mistake and eventually the penny will drop and I have one of those "DoH" moments like Homer Simpson. But I am sure you are not like that!!!!

30 September, 2005 11:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home