Why Nott Me

Thursday, September 29, 2005

AUTUMN
I can tell that fall is upon us. There was a nip in the air today, low 60’s, with a chance of frost tonight. There are leaves covering the yard. Soon we’ll be mulching up the leaves and burning them, although that’s quite a chore since well are surrounded by trees. Some years we just get them out of the flower beds and quit.
I remember when I first moved here some 15 years ago. I decided one Saturday to rake all the leaves. I raked, and raked, and raked for over four hours. And there were still leaves. Everywhere! My mother-in-law was kind enough to tell me she had made the same mistake when she was my age. Kind of her I thought as my husband, her son, just laughed and wouldn’t help. He said “It’s impossible to get them all. Give it up.” I finally conceded that the leaves had won, but not until my hands had blisters that were quite painful.
Autumn is still my favorite time of the year. I love to walk in the wood with the crunch of the leaves under foot. The smell of the leaves and the noise is soothing to me. I am looking forward to Saturday morning so that I can go walking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home